Sunday 7 October 2007

Hens vs Plants

I was up at the Grand Designs Live event in Birmingham yesterday and the Omlet stand was there. I've wanted chickens for a while but always thought it would have to wait until my 'house in the country'. Now I'm not so sure and thinking - why not, even though my garden's not particularly big.

Buying the complete Eglu kit seems like a good starting point. Not only do you get their easy clean hen house with a fox-proof run and cover but you also get two (or three) chickens and training(!) with delivery.

It is fenced, so I don't think the local foxes or badgers should be a problem. I have ideas of a lovely snail and slug free garden - although if they're anything like the pheasants that roam around my parents garden - they will probably eat ALL my plants and vegetables and create dust baths on any patches of bare earth ... but at least I'll have fresh eggs!

1 comment:

BeaK. said...

Oh Clare,

I love chickens! My friend has lovely ones and she shares her fresh eggs with me.

I keep hinting and hubby keeps pretending he doesn't hear.

Maybe I'll just go chicken shopping soon.

When I was growing up we had many varities...Rhode-Island Reds, Old English Game Bantams, and Dominiques. We also raised turkeys.

They are so pretty, useful and the eggs are awesome to have.

Enjoyed reading your blog.

Happy Sunday!

Bea Kunz